Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Confession #17: I had my first "I look like a terrible parent" moment

The little man had a cough and congestion all weekend, so I took him to the pediatrician on Monday. Our appointment was at 2, but we sat in the waiting room until 2:30. It was so freakin' hot in there...and G started fussing...which quickly turned to all out screaming. I tried all my tricks...none worked. I took off his shirt in case he was too hot...didn't help. Other parents were giving me the look of pity. Finally the receptionist asked if we wanted to bring him back to a cooler room. Yes! (So basically we got put in a holding cell.)
A few minutes later, we were taken to the real examination room. He continued to scream. The doctor came in and she held him and he calmed down a little bit. When he started fussing again she said "Do you have a bottle? Why don't you feed him?" Well he'd just eaten 2 hours before that...but I made a bottle and of course he calmed right down. Thank God he weighs almost 17 pounds at 3 months or she'd think I was starving him. (read this about a couple who recently starved their baby...horrible! http://www.seattlepi.com/sound/414761_sound82817997.html  )
So as if that wasn't bad enough, today I was talking to a student and she said "I heard Geoffrey didn't have a good visit at the doctor the other day." Huh??? How did she know?! Well apparently a girl in her class was in that waiting room and saw the whole scene and said "Mrs. J looked like she didn't know what to do."
Yea little girl...I hope your baby is perfect. We'll see how easy it is when you're the mom.

No...I'm not bitter.

2 comments:

  1. Haha. I'm sorry to laugh, but this is a great story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh...that's not patronizing-ish at all. (one of my FAVORITE things...eee). Just from reading your blog, you sound like a good mom. Oh man, I'm so nervous about parenthood! You've seen my feisty posts! My poor kids don't stand a chance (Okay, but really, I really hope I'm gonna be a good mom!)

    ReplyDelete