Friday, January 22, 2010

Confession #2: Failure to latch

I don't breastfeed and I feel horrible about it. I tried...but I don't think I tried hard enough. I did have trouble with my supply, but the truth of the matter is that I never gave it 100 percent. When the lactation consultant came in the hospital room I was tired and in pain from my C-section. I didn't really want to be bothered. And if you REALLY want me to be honest, a lot of it had to do with my husband. When G screamed instead of latching on, hubby didn't encourage me...he kept saying that it wasn't going to work. When I pumped on the couch he complained about the sounds. When I tried Fenugreek he told me to stop because it was making me constipated, but I really think he just wanted me to stop because he thought it was a hassle. I mentioned that I wanted to go back to the hospital and see the lactation consultant, but I needed him to drive and he never wanted to make the effort.
If you want to breast feed, take a class...get as much help from the LC as possible...and know that it is not as simple as whipping out your boob right after labor and feeding your baby. It takes work.

1 comment:

  1. It does take work- it takes a LOT of work. We're on week 8 of breastfeeding and I'm just now starting to get the hang of it. We had a really rough start- he wouldn't latch on so we had to use a nipple shield (it was a lifesaver), I had a low supply (I still get a low supply frequently but am learning how to keep it up), and I have this huge chubby little baby (14 pounds already) who wants to eat ALL THE TIME. It's a work in progress. I made it to my first mini-goal (6 weeks) so now we're working towards my next goal (3 months). I'm trying not to put a lot of pressure on it. I'm doing the best that I can and if it works, great- if we have to go to formula, that's ok too.

    ReplyDelete