Sunday, January 31, 2010

Helpful hint: Resist the urge to buy lots of clothes

I will be the first to admit that I LOVE BABY CLOTHES. I couldn't stop myself from buying everything cute I could find. Sometimes I think it might've been a lot worse if I had a girl (because there is so much more cute girl stuff!) but I aso think that it might've been the thrill of the hunt for boy stuff. For a while I was on ebay all the time looking for stuff. (Of course, always new, with tags :) I also went to consignment shops. Let me tell you...if you haven't figured this out yet...Carter's has the monopoly on baby stuff in mainstream stores. It doesn't matter if it's Babies R Us, Target, Kohl's...wherever....it's all Carter's. Even stuff at Walmart is from a "division of Carter's".
Anyways, think of it this way: your baby is going to be growing very quickly. Not only that, but you're basically stuck in the house for the first few weeks anyways. My son wore mostly pajamas. He's 8 weeks old now and I'm already packing away the 0-3 month stuff...and some he's only worn a few times.
Just some thoughts:
  • Get at least a few newborn items...even if you have a big baby like mine, he will still need some newborn stuff...but don't go crazy.
  • Definitely think about seasons. I couldn't resist buying certain items and now I'm not sure if he'll get to wear them.
  • Pajamas with snaps are a PAIN in the middle of the night...look for those with zippers. My son is just now fitting into the sleeper sacks (that say 0-9 months) and I'm so happy! Thank goodness we just had a cold front!
  • People love to buy baby clothes. See what they get you at your baby showers before you spend your money on them.
  • Leave tags on stuff until you know s/he is going to wear it...clothes are worth more money with the tags still on them!

2 comments:

  1. I swore if I had a kid I was going to the village discount outlet on 5 cent mondays. LOL

    ReplyDelete