Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Confession #6: I've had to eat my words a few times

I already admitted that breastfeeding didn't work for me and I definitely thought it would be easy as pie. So that's one thing that I've had to admit I failed at.
Ever since I was old enough to know what an epidural was, I've said I don't want one. It's not so much that I wanted to experience natural childbirth...it's more like I was terrified of the thought of needles in my back. So over the course of my life I've stuck by this notion...that the pain of childbirth couldn't possibly be worse than getting a shot. Of course when I got pregnant I continued to stick by my guns and I told anyone and everyone that I wasn't going to have an epidural. Some people were very supportive and told me I could do it...but most people thought I was crazy. "Demand the drugs right when you get there" was the general consensus. Well, most things about my labor were different than I'd envisioned. First off, I hadn't dilated at all by my 38 week appointment. Then I started having high blood pressure which led to me being induced. I had to have cervadil first which was very painful for me. The nurse couldn't even check me to see if it was working, so she suggested the epidural. I gave in and boy am I glad I did! The needles weren't that bad and once it kicked in...WOW...I've never experienced anything like it. I could feel people touching me, but felt no pain whatsoever! I ended up having an emergency C-section, so I am really glad I'd already had the epidural. The last thing I needed after finding out the news was to have to go through the needles at that point.
The other thing I'd been very adament about is that I didn't want to have just one child. I am and always have been an only child and I honestly hate it. I've given my parents grief about them not giving me a sibling (although it's really not their fault...my mom had health issues). But guess what...now that I've been through childbirth, I really think I can't do it again. I know they say that you forget the pain...and maybe it's just too soon...but the recovery is definitely still fresh in my mind. Adoption is looking really good.

2 comments:

  1. You're not alone there- my husband and I are sooo not ready anytime soon for another kid. The pain was unbelievable- and my freakin' epidural didn't work, TWICE. I didn't want to go natural and I never want to go natural again. They say you forget the pain eventually but I honestly don't think that I ever ever will and I know my husband won't ever forget watching me in that much pain. BAh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a mom yet, but I am pretty darn sure all mom's have to eat their own words every now and then ;-)

    ReplyDelete