Friday, February 12, 2010

Helpful hint: Perfect your swaddle

If you have a baby with colic, I highly recommend that you get the book "Happiest Baby on the Block" ASAP. If you're like I was, you're desperate enough to do anything to get the crying/screaming to stop. Someone mentioned the book to me and I happened to see it at Target. My husband didn't want me to get it. It's like he didn't think that anyone could possibly know what we were going through or how to help. Actually I take that back...he took a lot of advice from his co-workers, but didn't want to see what a doctor with lots of experience had to say about it. (Our pediatrician had never read the book and she didn't have a whole lot of good advice). But I digress...
I read the book (a very easy read) and I swear it changed my life. No, your child's colic won't be magically cured...but you will be able to handle it so much better. If you'll use his steps, it will work! I'm not going to tell you what all of the S's are, but I have to say that the swaddle is so important. My son's "shh" of choice is the hair dryer. If he's screaming from colic (meaning I've already fed and changed him and tried several things to entertain him and he's still upset) I take him in the nursery, turn on that hair dryer and he snaps right out of it. Sometimes I have to run that hair dryer on and off for an hour.
I have found that the way that I get him to sleep the longest is when he's swaddled nice and tight.
**One big hint is if you are swaddling a larger baby like mine, regular receiving blankets are too small. I went to Wal-mart's fabric section (which is available at very few Wal-marts now) and bought a yard of flannel material. It's plenty big enough to wrap him up like a cute little burrito**
My little man slept ALL night last night...and he was swaddled!

2 comments:

  1. LOL. This book didn't work for my little guy! We tried EVERYTHING! He hates hates hates the swaddle- even when he was a newborn in the hospital, the nurses said they were surprised by how much he disliked the swaddle. We tried the 5 S's over and over and over agan and they didn't work :/ I ended up giving the book to a friend who is about to have a baby. Luckily his fussy phase is far over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swaddling is definitely key to calming a baby, if they are willing that is! I hope it works as well with my second as it did with my first. Have you tried the Halo Sleepsack Swaddle though? It makes swaddling so much easier, especially during the middle of the night. And it's an easy transition to a regular sleepsack once they outgrow swaddling.

    ReplyDelete